About a week ago, I had the chance to be a guest on a podcast called Business Republic hosted by Omar and Nicole.
Two amazing people working on such amazing things that align with what I’m working on. I had to have them on the Leaving Corporate podcast as well. Omar’s episode is coming soon. 🙂
In our conversation, I learned they were working on a new product called Webinar Ninja (awesome name by the way) and it was looking to solve a lot of the problems people have with GoTo Meeting and Webinar Jam.
Late last year I purchased Webinar Jam because it offered a much cheaper alternative to GoTo Webianr, which was $100/month for only 50 people. I was going to need more than that as I grow my business and that just seemed like a rip off.
I try to spend my money wisely now that I work for myself and that just didn’t seem affordable for where I’m at right now.
You see, Webinar Jam was a one time payment for a great solution that used Google Hangouts to hold webinars with unlimited people…the only problem…they don’t offer mobile-friendly registration pages or thank you pages.
As a mobile guy, that won’t cut it for me.
Enter Webinar Ninja.
Omar and Nicole shared their vision for Webinar Ninja which launches May 21st, and I got super pumped about it. It offers everything Webinar Jam did and way more like, mobile-friendly pages and hosting right on your own wordpress site because it’s a wordpress plugin.
BOOM! I was hooked and I told them I wanted to be an affiliate.
How I made over $500 with one Facebook post.
Now, I don’t make tons of money from affiliate marketing right now but it does bring in a few hundred to a thousand bucks per month (as of April).
I haven’t really been this pumped about a product before so I immediately want to share with my community on Facebook because I knew others would be interested in this solution for holding webinars.
Note: After reading the article, Download the affiliate checklist to do this too. Use it as a guide to improve your business
You can see that this post created some great engagement. 24 comments to be exact. People were asking questions that I was able to answer due to my conversation. I was adding value and helping them in their decision.
Then, I noticed something. People started buying it.
That’s two people that used my link.
To be honest, I wasn’t even thinking of using this post to make money. I just wanted to share because it’s a tool I’m excited about, made by people that I believe in and trust.
As I typed up my Facebook post I used my affiliate link to direct people to the product to learn more. I use a tool called Pretty Link to mask my affiliate URLs and make them easy to remember.
If you’re not already using Pretty Link I recommend you check it out because it’s super helpful. Especially if the original affiliate link changes for some reason (which happens).
In creating the post, I naturally just typed the pretty link. You can see I even wrote “happy to be an affiliate” to make sure people knew it was an affiliate link.
In two days I made $543.45 from this one post.
I thought this was awesome and even celebrated a little. (It’s always good to celebrate small wins, unexpected wins).
Now, I’m not an affiliate marketing expert but I learned a few things from this experience that I wanted to share with you about how you can be making money from affiliate marketing even without your own blog (although I recommend you have one).
6 Tips For Making Money With Affiliate Marketing.
- Only promote products you absolutely believe in: I’d like to think this is a no-brainer but there are people out there promoting products just to make money.
- Promote products you’ve used or are recommended through a reliable source (one you trust): Like I said, I haven’t used this product yet. Heck, it hasn’t even launched. But I had a long chat with the owners and makers of the product and believe in what the solution they have to a problem that I (and many others) suffer from.
- Be transparent as often as possible. If you’re using affiliate links, let people know. Now, does it really affect them? Not really. Someone buying through my affiliate link doesn’t cost them a penny more. I just earn a commission on the transaction as a referral source. Pat Flynn does this extremely well on the resource page of his blog on smart passive income:
- Be an advocate for the products you’re an affiliate for. As you can see below, I was answering questions and even tagged Omar (the creator) to get involved when I didn’t know the answer. He quickly joined the conversation and was able to answer questions from very warm prospects. I didn’t want to make any false claims so I simply just asked Omar to help knowing that he had a bunch of prospects looking for info.
- You don’t have to wait to have your blog ready to become an affiliate of products you use. I’m a perfect example of how you can make $500+ from one post just by following these tips.
- Don’t go an add affiliate links to every single Facebook post and be annoying.
Just because it’s possible doesn’t mean you should force affiliate links into every Facebook post. Promote when it’s relevant and can add value to your followers.
Now, if you don’t know much about affiliate marketing I recommend you brush up a bit.
How you can use this in your business?
If you wan to learn the steps in how I made over $500 in one Facebook post, here are the 7 steps to get started doing this for your own business.
- Take the next week and see if the products and services you use every day and love that offer affiliate programs. Sign up for the ones that do.
- Make an Evernote file or Google doc listing out all of the affiliate links and their respective Pretty Link (You’ll need a blog for this because it’s a WordPress plugin)
- Write a blog post (or Facebook post) about why you love this product, how you use it and the benefits it brings to your life. If you can include video tutorials that’s even better.
- Be genuinely trying to share with your community.
- Be sure to include your affiliate links within the post
- Mention you’re an affiliate.
- Share the post with your community/followers.
P.S. I’ve bundled this entire process into a PDF checklist so you can download it and study it when you are ready. Download it here!. You’ll also join the newsletter to get more posts and strategies like this.
I’m going to take a page out of Pat’s book and follow my own tips and say this:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you decide to buy them. Know that I have experience with these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because I’ll make small commissions if you decide to buy something. Please don’t spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.